President Muhammadu Buhari has assured Nigerians that last Friday’s abduction of female students from Government Girls Science Secondary School, Jangebe, will be the last to happen.
The President’s statement was relayed yesterday, through Minister of Aviation, Sen. Hadi Sirika, who led a high-powered Federal Government delegation to sympathise with the people and government of Zamfara.
He said new measures had been developed by the Federal Government which would bring complete end to all forms of criminality in the nation.
“The President is saddened by the abduction of the students from Jangebe and reassures you that the government has all the resources and wherewithal to contain these criminals.
“Buhari also commended Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara’s efforts against armed banditry and promised a continued support to bringing lasting peace.
“The Federal Government will continue its partnership with Zamfara government and its citizens in resolving the security challenges facing the state,” Buhari said.
In his response, Governor Matawalle appreciated Buhari and the federal government’s concern, noting that very soon the abductees would regain their freedom.
“I strongly believe in the president and his effort in fighting all forms of insurgence and urge him to improve on the nation’s security.
“This is by ensuring synergy among the security agencies so that confrontations with criminals can be coordinated on ground and air simultaneously,” the governor said.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that other members of the delegation were the Minister of Police Affairs, Alhaji Maigari Dingyadi, Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Hajiya Sa’adiya Umar-Faruk and Minister of Women Affairs, Mrs. Pauline Tallen.
Zamfara emirs blame FG
In a related development, the Zamfara Council of Traditional Rulers has blamed the Federal Government for the abduction of students of Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, last Friday by bandits, saying the situation could have been averted, if Governor Bello Matawalle was in control of the security architecture of the state.
Sparking when he led 16 other emirs in the state to commiserate with the governor on the abduction of the schoolgirls, chairman of the council and Emir of Anka, Alhaji Attahiru Mohammed, said: “We note that just as you are doing your best, others elsewhere are doing their worst. We also know that you do not control the security architecture. If you did have their total control, we know such a thing will never happen in the state.”
The traditional rulers described the Jangebe incident in the state as an irony, considering the tremendous successes of the peace accord.
They appreciated the commitment and sincerity of Governor Matawalle as well as his success in the last one and half years in curbing the menace of banditry in the state.
“As true representatives of our subjects, we are here to register our sympathy with you and to promise you that we are solidly behind you in your bid to secure our communities,’’ the Emirs said.
They called on the governor to relieve his mind of heavy worry over what happened and prayed that God returned the girls home safely.
“We urge you to continue with your good work which we note is the best approach that is yielding results to our communities,’’ the monarchs said.
In his remarks, Governor Matawalle assured the emirs that in spite of everything, he would never stop the peace process, saying it was still the best option for peace in the process of finding lasting peace in the state.
“Any sabotage to the efforts we are making in the state is a sabotage to the efforts of the Federal Government. The world knows our boundaries and the world knows our successes,” Matawalle said.
He thanked the Emirs for their concern and promised that his administration will do everything within its powers to rescue the innocent girls and return them to the warm embrace of their respective families.